QCG, since 1996, has been serving the needs of writers in the workplace by teaching our unique systems approach to writing.
We consult with and develop training for businesses and government agencies on their writing and writing processes.
We are also a developing community for writers and teachers of workplace writing.
Kevin R. Dungey
Dr. Kevin Dungey earned his BA degree at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1972) in Psychology and English and his Ph.D. at Stanford University (1980) in Linguistics, and Medieval Languages and Literature. Dr. Dungey presently teaches Oral Presentations (since 2000) for the Whiting School of Engineering at The Johns Hopkins University. He taught English as a professor at the University of Maryland–College Park (1980-1987), and Greek, Mathematics, and Philosophy at St. John’s College, Annapolis, Maryland (1987-1994).
He has also conducted audit report writing training as an independent consultant for federal agencies (Department of Labor--Office of the Inspector General (OIG), Department of State–OIG, Department of Housing and Urban Development-OIG), state agencies (Legislative Auditors for Arizona, Michigan, Maryland, Vermont, and Louisiana), local agencies (The City of San Diego), and private companies (KPMG, JMT Engineering). He has worked as a consutant/expert (course developer and instructor) for the Government Accountability Office (GAO) continuously since 1986.
In addition, Dr. Dungey has offered specialized training for writing in plain English and in writing clear and usable regulations. He co-developed (with Dr. Harvey Lillywhite) a distance learning class for Veterans Benefits Administration called Reader-Focused Writing Tools that was offered at remote sites for 8,000 VBA employees. This training class won Vice-President Al Gore’s Hammer Award for promoting efficiency in government in 1996 and an award for best use of humor.
Throughout his academic career, Dr. Dungey has specialized in writing. He was Assistant Director of Freshman English at Stanford University (1979-80), Co-founder and Co-director of the University of Maryland’s Professional Writing Program (1980-83), and Director of Writing at St. John’s College (1991-1994). He is co-author of Producing Technical Information out of Cognella Press (2014)
- Kevin’s family has owned and operated a lakefront resort in the Adirondack Mountains of New York since 1944
- Kevin still has his Mickey Mantle baseball cards!
- Kevin sang in a Boy Choir at St. Thomas Church on 5th Avenue in New York City from 11-15 years old.
The Divine Comedy, Dante
The Lord of the Rings, J. R. R. Tolkien
The Gospel of Mark
From Zero to One, Peter Thiel
A Moveable Feast, Ernest Hemingway
I am Co-Director of QCG. I got into writing because I loved it. I started out writing poems. Don't laugh. I was actually awarded an individual artist's fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts, published a book and lots of poems in literary journals, and taught poetry in college.
Then I met Joseph M. Williams (author of the indispensable book STYLE), who told me to do writing consulting with businesses if I really wanted to learn about "writing." So I did.
I got an MFA in Poetry from Columbia University, a Ph.D. in Writing from the University of Utah, and am now a full professor of English at Towson University in Baltimore.
But just as Herman Melville answered when asked where he went to school--A whaling ship has been my Harvard and my Yale--I can truly say that the offices and agencies where I've worked elbow-to-elbow with so many actual workplace writers from around the world have been my true Harvard and my Yale when it comes to learning about writing. Joe Williams was right!
I hope to meet with you and be of help to you in any way I can. I'm evangelical in my passion for workplace writing. Teaching people to truly connect with others through the everyday writing they must do to do their work is actually pretty spiritual to me. We're on this planet to learn from and help each other, IMHO.
- Co-Director, Quality Communications Group, Inc. (1996-present). Developed and taught a wide-range of workplace writing courses for government agencies and the private sector.
- Full Professor of English, Towson University (1984-present). Developed and taught a wide range of writing and literature courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Directed the graduate program in professional writing.
- Senior Writing Consultant, Government Accountability Office (1987-present). Developed and taught a wide range of writing courses. Served as subject matter expert for various report projects.
Ph.D. English/Writing University of Utah (1984)
M.F. A. Writing, Columbia University (1980)
B.A. English, University of Utah (1975)
- On Laura Nyro's album, The Very Best of Laura Nyro, Ms. Nyro thanked me. Check it out.
- Huge Orioles fan and love baseball.
- Pretty fair TexMex cook.
- Moby Dick, H. Melville
- The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People, Covey
- The Collected Poems, Wallace Stevens
- Made to Stick, Heath Brothers
- It’s What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts, E. Weaver